Thank you for all your comments last week I have replied to each of them and found them all hugely interesting to read.
As usual a busy week again but this week saw the last of my patchwork and quilting workshops so I thought I would share my creations with you.
I didn't really want to make a quilt but fancied doing something a little smaller. I started off with the idea of making 6 placemats in 10 weeks - one a week and 4 weeks to tie up loose ends, or so I thought. Well 10 weeks later I have made 3 and even those aren't completely finished!! Never mind you win some you loose some!
This is my first mat and is the only one I finished completely. I used Japanese Folded patchwork for this one and joined each square with hand stitching. Not as easy as it first appeared, because of the bias on the circles of fabric, they seem to develop a mind of their own when you are stitching them and I didn't have a walking foot at this stage either!
Is there a foot on your machine you wouldn't be without and why do you find it so useful?
My second project is Somerset Patchwork. As you can see I only completed 3 squares and need another 3 to complete the placemat in the same 3 x 2 configuration as the first mat. These are all hand sewn using small rectangles folded into triangles. I really enjoyed making these although they are quite time consuming and use a lot of material. I haven't really fathomed out how to join them together yet and have even thought I may make them into individual coasters instead!!
As you can see, on my third project, I still have the border to turn to the back and stitch in place. This was one of those times when the project evolved as I went along. I planned to do a tumbling blocks design and had seen a 'quick' way of doing it on line, but this didn't work out and I was left with lots of strips of fabric sewn together. I cut them into diamonds and this was the result, which I am rather pleased with as it turned out completely different to what I had in mind.
Once again, my final mat is still unfinished. I knew once the course ended I would struggle to complete it if I was part way through a design. I was using a Seminole patchwork design and originally I had planned to make a different strip for the centre but I ran out of time. Don't look too closely you can see a few mistakes in this one as I rushed to finish it!!
I have enjoyed this course but I'm not sure patchwork and quilting is for me! I like the patchwork bit best but get very irritated if I can't get the design accurate. The quilting bit doesn't float my boat either. I need to master my free machine embroidery but find it very difficult to slow my 38 yr old Frister Rossman machine down - it's all in the foot control you see!!!
Just a quick update on the Wedding Dress progress. For one reason or another it's been on and off over the last few weeks but we have now decided we are definitely making. I am making a mock up in calico first, the pictures above being of the bodice and now I am working on the skirt. Can't tell you too much just in case the groom to be is reading!!!
Off over to Handmade Monday now hosted by Lucy Blossom Crafts. I always look forward to this link party as it is such a friendly community.
Hope to see you there x