Sunday 20 October 2013

I shall wear purple!

Hello everyone

I'll start with a huge thank you to everyone for the wonderful, helpful and supportive comments left on my previous post.  Unfortunately I didn't manage to comment individually this time but I did read them and found them all so friendly and considerate - thank you :)

Recently I have joined the South Devon Branch of the Embroiderers Guild.  It is a very friendly group of ladies, with a wealth of knowledge for many crafts not only embroidery.  I am really looking forward to attending some of the fantastic workshops they hold.

As I have done very little embroidery, I thought I ought to try out a few stitches and started to think about a project.  Have you ever heard the poem called 'Warning' by Jenny Joseph?  Maybe if you hear the first line it will jog your memory -

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

Sound a little more familiar now?  If you would like to read the whole poem, just click on the link above.  

Well I love the idea of this, so have decided to use this poem as my theme.  I am making a doll and will dress her using the ideas in the poem and my own interpretation of how I think she may like to look!  I shall then use embroidery to decorate her clothing.

Here is what she looks like so far!


I chose to crochet her body as it is something I am familiar with.

I used chunky, soft, multi-coloured yarn for her hair, crocheting a cap the same as her head first then looping strands of yarn in layers.  I have not yet decided whether to trim the hair or leave it as it is!  As her character is a little off the wall, I think she may look fine like this :)  What do you think?
 I embroidered her eyes onto small white pieces of felt, using 3 or 4 different colours and black for the eye lashes and pupils.  I may add another black line below to define them a little more but I shall wait and see what she looks like when I have added the other facial features.  I then needle felted the whites of the eyes in place.


She looks a little naked don't you think?
I'm working on her underwear as we speak - watch this space!

Thank you for reading!  I hope you enjoy the poem; it makes me smile :)  Off over to Handmade Monday now and of course, must watch the Strictly results later!!! Enjoy :)

16 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! Great inspiration! I can't wait to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love that poem - only in my case I will wear red!!
    Your doll looks great, love her hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE her hair as it is (although when mine is that wild, I become rather embarrassed by it). I think it suits her personality and I can't wait to see how she turns out when not quite so naked! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The detail on her eyes is wonderful! Can't wait to see her fully clothed x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow she's gorgeous! Definitely leave the hair as it is, it looks amazing. I love her eyes too, full of character and so beautiful, she will be quite a work of art when she's done :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a really interesting project and I am really looking forward to seeing how she develops. I love the wild look of the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like her, particularly her eyes and hair. Looking forward to seeing how she turns out with her clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha I did a take on that poem the other week! Your girlie is looking good. I hope that she is going to be wearing some way out there type of clothing! Her hair is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasnt familiar with the poem at all but i love it, my favourite colour to wear now is purple so it will be no shock when im older lol x your crochet old lady looks fabulous, I have seen many amigurumi items but have never tried as i wouldnt know where to start with sewing them together! Definitely keep the hair as it is, it looks great x I look forward to see how she turns out clothed xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this poem - it's great. I think Miss Purple is going to be very classy - great hair. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to wear purple, I'm looking forward to seeing how you dress her.
    I can envisage what type of red had she would wear, I wonder what type you will give her.
    I love her hair.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOooops that should be 'red hat' :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have heard of the poem. just can't remember where from.
    What a lovely lady you have there. I love her mane of hair. It definitely says 'I'm a purple lady'... Can't wait to see her wardrobe xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of that poem before. It's a great idea making something based off it. The amount of detail you've put into the eyes is incredible.

    I quite like her hair the way it is, big and wild :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love her hair, she looks great. I had not heard of the poem but it made me smile. I wear purple and shocking pink so I don't think it will be a shock as I get older. I was planning to be batty craft lady!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have always loved that poem, can't wait to see how the rest of the doll turns out.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all the lovely comments you leave so thank you for taking precious time to do this.